Thursday, July 16, 2009

Starbucks: Back to the Drawing Board

The Saga Continues


















Starbucks has put considerable effort into serving gluten-free food, but it hasn't seemed happy with what it has produced.

First, in April 2007, there were the brownies that were test-marketed in New York City.

Then came the months and months of research and brainstorming that resulted in the May 2009 unveiling of the Valencia Orange Cake.

And now the saga continues with the discontinuation of the orange cake—after fewer than three months!—and its replacement with Kind Fruit & Nut Bars.

Photo: David Marc Fischer

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

They should go back to brownies! I can get fruit and nuts anytime, anywhere... The Valencia wasn't amazing, and the fat content was so high that I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't sell very many.

Mondschein said...

Triumph Dining is sponsoring a petition drive to keep the GF cake at Starbucks. Link here to sign:

http://www.triumphdining.com/blog/petition-to-starbucks-bring-back-the-gluten-free-cake/

Anonymous said...

That Valencia cake was BAD. Plus, it had a TON of calories and fat. I bought it a couple of times just to support that they were trying gluten free. Why don't they come up with a better recipe or hook up with a gluten free bakery that knows what they're doing like BabyCakes?

Anonymous said...

The ingredients in the orange cake were a joke. You couldn't pay me to try it.

Auntie Mar said...

I bought the Lucy's Chocolate Chip Cookies at Starbucks. They have been selling them for about three weeks. I have to say they are the best gluten-free cookies I have tasted.I hope the continue to carry them.

kitchen tables said...

For me it is not that bad. I found it so good. In fact it is one of my favorite snacks to eat when I have a long break in my office.

iris said...

what about the frapuccino ? ice coffee?
is it GF?

Anonymous said...

The Starbucks in the UK makes a great gluten and wheat free brownie. Strange, they can't re-create it for the US market. Though I also haven't seen it anywhere in continental Europe either.