Thursday, August 23, 2007

IN MEMORY OF BETTE HAGMAN

In her book The Gluten-Free Gourmet (1990), Bette Hagman wrote
Fifteen years ago, as a newly diagnosed celiac, I was embarrassed to ask questions that might send my waitress or waiter back to the kitchen several times, and as a result I often received food that I had to leave untouched. Now I ask. I explain the reason for the questions, and most serving people have been obliging, sometimes bringing the cook to the table or taking me to the cook. I give the restaurant four stars in my book when the cook understands and makes me a plate that looks great, tastes great, and is completely gluten free. And the cook gets five stars when others in the restaurant look at my plate and wonder where I found that on the menu.
In The Gluten-Free Gourmet, Bette Hagman also wrote this about the gluten-free diet:
I don't think of it as a diet for life, I consider it a prescription for living.
After Bette's death last week, her daughter Karol offered the following statement:
Bette embraced everyone. She believed so much in us working together and spoke often about how to make that happen. She wanted to see cohesiveness amongst the groups. She understood the power in a single voice.
To that end, Karol has asked that memorial donations be made to the American Celiac Disease Alliance, "the national federation serving, representing, and advocating on behalf of the entire celiac community." Donations can be made online; "Memorial Donation for Bette Hagman" should be entered into the Notes section. Those wishing to donate by mail may send contributions to
American Celiac Disease Alliance
c/o GIG
31214 - 124 Ave SE
Auburn WA 98092.
All donations will support the efforts of the ACDA in representing a unified voice for the celiac community. All donations are tax-deductible. ACDA is a 501c3 nonprofit organization.

Also in memory of Bette Hagman, Seamaiden of Book of Yum has started a tribute requesting that people prepare and photograph a Hagman dish for forwarding to Karol. And, over at LiveJournal, DeWinged Pixie encourages people to wear green or an otherwise appropriate article of clothing on Friday.

No comments: